Taking Note

For the last 3 and a bit years I've had a blog of some description to document my outdoors
activities. However, as a bit of a traditionalist and someone who spends ample time at work with a pen in my hand I have always been keen on a more physical record.

Ideas
I know that Pablo has been doing the same thing for a couple of years and his posts are a good start on the subject. I've had a moleskines notebook in my coat pocket for a coupl
e of years, It's a little the worse for wear now and I must say it hasn't proved as robust as I'd hoped and the spine has broken.

Analogue Replacement
As I've not had a decent digital camera in a long while I've also been sketching quite a lot in the notebook and transferring that to a more substantial leather bound A6 notebook I bo
ught from WH Smiths. I've also put some important notes in the pages as well as the observations I make and ideas I have.
The Pen is Mightier than the Pen Drive
The emotional and mental impact of making real written notes is also worth remembering. As many involved in education and training are aware, the very act of writing something down helps to fix it in the mind. It was also educational for me to realise, when we were packing our possessions, that I keep letters and cards from my family for years whilst I empty out my e-mails and SMS folders on a regular basis. A written record offers something both more permanent and empirical.
The final argument in favour of a written record, excluding massive power cuts, is that it ties in with the learning I have been doing through the Jack Mountain Bushcraft online course. Their student handbook explains the needs and benefits of written records, in particular a log book to demonstrate how knowledge and expertise have been gradually accumulated.

The Pages
The images in the article are scans of my tracking and wildlife notes from my last trip out in the snow. Sadly, my hand writing looks even worse when put on a computer screen.
Bigger versions are Page 1, Page 2 & Page 3.

4 comments :

Post a Comment